[opendtv] DRM and AACS does nothing but annoy...

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:51:06 -0400

[quote]
Perhaps someone can correct me on my understanding if I've
got this wrong. I certainly don't condone pirating or not compensating
anyone for their work, I'm just against mechanisms like this that do
nothing to address the original concern, but affect fair use of the
content. No matter what DRM anyone tries to implement, it can be
cracked, so this cat and mouse games just serves to annoy us!

I'm thinking there may be some funny business
involved with reducing the resolution (and they may not tell you)
because the analog component signals do not have any digital
rights management capability.

This is my biggest beef with Blu-Ray and the reason I don't now,
and may never own one, AACS. They call it "plugging the analog
hole" or "analog sunset". Right now all players have a bit that can
be set on the disk to limit the analog output to SD resolution
only. It is up to the content provider to decide to use it or not.
After 2010 all analog outputs must be limited to SD resolution
only. After 2012, no players will be allowed to be manufactured
with an analog output, and it is expected all discs will implement
the ICT bit disabling all analog outputs on existing players.

This is meant to thwart pirating but as usual, all the current AACS
keys are available from hackers, and pirates have no problem
ripping these disks. It only serves to hurt the legitimate end user
as all of these DRM scheme do.

I guess Hollywood has decided for me that I need to throw away my
$10K Sony HD projector so that I don't rip them off. Whenever
Hollywood gets control over a technical standard, it usually turns
out to be the worst choice for the consumer, and does nothing to
address their original concern. Remember DivX players?
More on AACS can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

and:

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/06/drm-licensing-group-presses-o