[opendtv] Re: Cutting the High Cost of Digital Living

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 20:10:15 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It never reached 90% as a national average. It's still in

> the 80's.

Sorry, Craig, but that's irrelevant. What matters is the first derivative. Is
that percentage going up or down? It's going down.

> The only loser I see here is you Bert.

I don't see how, given that there's so much more TV out there for the viewing
than there used to be.

You seem to keep missing the obvious. If the percentage of MVPD subscribers is
dropping, and Internet streaming is tied to MVPD membership, then the content
owners will lose. Lose-lose. The walled gardens might try to delay the
inevitable, with this new trick, but if people still opt out, it ain't going to
do the content owners any good.

On the other hand, one can also argue that if the addicts are made to pay ever
higher fees, the content owners might be satisfied with that anyway. So maybe
that's how I'm "losing this argument." Heh heh.