[opendtv] Re: Cutting the High Cost of Digital Living

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 00:35:08 +0000

Monty Solomon posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/technology/personaltech/cutting-the-high-cost-of-digital-living.html

My main reaction is, she's hopeless. Sounds akin to alcoholism.

The significant part of this article, which Craig should pay attention to, is:

"In total, then, I'm paying $236 a month for Internet, movies and TV. Ouch. The
obvious way to cut the bill is to get rid of cable."

And then,

"But I'm not quite ready to cut the cord. The primary reason is sports."

So there you have it. People not addicted to sports, in theory the majority of
TV viewers (although sometimes I have my doubts), seem to have been waking up.
And I'm fairly certain that content owners are aware of this. That's why that
supposed 90 percent MVPD addiction has dropped of late.

That's why tying authenticated Internet access to MVPD membership is not the
win-win Craig seems to think it is. It could also be lose-lose.