[opendtv] Re: Cost of "good" vs. "bad" receivers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:26:28 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> Has anyone got public data that would quantify the
> cost difference between a "good" (H)DTV receiver
> versus a "bad" one? Our government representatives
> are being told that it is simply too expensive to
> expect that a well performing receiver will be in
> the hands of Americans anytime soon. More to the
> point, we should not expect that well performing
> receivers will be the norm in the population of FCC
> "mandated" receivers.
>
> What specifics are out there related to cost
> differentials?

I'm confused. Didn't LG and others just attend a
congressional hearing in which they demoed 5th gen
STBs and announce they could be manufactured for $50?
And didn't Radio Shack just sell a bunch of Accurian
STBs for $90?

Or is the problem that the Accurian box was on a
closeout sale and that it wasn't clear whether those
boxes demoed to Congress were really any good? I
suppose it's possible that the boxes demoed to
Congress were bad news. We still don't know why LG
had to use the window placement for the antenna. They
could have been demoing 2nd gen STBs, I suppose. But
I find that non-believable.

From what I've seen advertized and reported, the $90
Accurian, which originally listed for $250 I believe,
beats out last year's $300 Motorola, right? Cliff has
both.

Cost and performance do not seem to be directly
related. Cost is more a function of integration than
anything else.