[opendtv] Re: Comcast Tests ‘Unlimited Data Option’ | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 23:47:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

So how much TV can you watch if you use ~400 Gig a month?

Akamai says their average user is 10 Mbps or higher. That works
out to about 4.5 Gbytes per hour.

Nice try, but I doubt it. "The average user is 10 Mb/s" means that their line
limit is 10 Mb/s. It does not mean that the pipe is filled to capacity
constantly. The average bit rate for HDTV, using H.264 in VBR mode, is roughly
4 Mb/s, and not all you watch is going to be HDTV. So in practice, when
watching HD content online, you're probably using 1.8 GB/hr.

SDTV, with H.264, is on average less than 1 Mb/s.

We certainly don't watch 5 hours per day, but someone who did, every day of the
week, assuming 100% HDTV material, would chew up 274.5 GB per month. So 300 GB
is not too tight for a default limit, unless you have many users in the home
watching a whole lot of HDTV daily.

Given that Comcast is a MVPD, one might conclude that even
these heavy streamers must still be using the linear MVPD
service close to half the time

If one feels compelled to conclude this. Or, people who make this calculation
might decide it's possible to cut the cord?