[opendtv] Re: Can Samsung sue digital TV off the air?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:54:06 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

While Samsung has filed the patent enforcement action in the U.S.
District Court of Delaware against those companies, Zenith Electronics
brought suit against the same parties more than a year ago in the U.S.
District Court, Eastern District of Texas for infringement of the
company's eight-level trellis-coded vestigial side band technology that
became the terrestrial DTV transmission standard in the United States.

The real reason why COFDM-Based DVB-T was not adopted in the US.

In an interview with EETimes on the subject of Rembrandt a year ago,
MPEG LA's CEO Horn said that the ATSC license includes "essential
patents" to propagate and use digital TV signals.

"We used the term essential in a very strict sense," he said. "When we
say 'essential patents,' we mean those truly essential to
implementations of the standard and to the use of the ATSC products."

All the bells and whistles ancillary to the standard, or certain
favorable ways to implement it, are not necessarily considered
"essential," he added.

One wonders if FCC mandated PSIP tables are considered "essential."

John