[opendtv] Re: Camcorder File Formats

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Television Technicians Discussion Group <tv-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:09:55 -0800

Perhaps I am.

The video needs to be uploaded to WebCT which allows for Flash (.flv) or
MPEG (.mpg) files.  So I am looking for a camera that records straight to
these formats and in flavors that are widely useable by most computers (I'm
not sure about mobile devices).  I was hoping there was a good
resource/website with these as a selectable search function.  But as you
say, perhaps simply asking the question would be better.

The other possibility I am researching is the use of MPEG-4/h.264/AVC files
with an .mp4 extension.  I imagine it is not as easy as just saying .mp4,
requiring some research to profiles and levels.

Ultimately, the goal is to have a very widely accepted format (file+codec
+profile+level+etc.) for streaming to computers that is directly recorded
with a camcorder.  While this sounds easy, it appears to me that most
camcorders record in various flavors that are not widely compatible.  I
believe transcoding is not a service, only file hosting, for UNLV's WebCT
application.  But I am early in my research.

Dan

From:   John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <tv-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   12/12/2011 09:24 AM
Subject:        RE: [TV-Tech] Camcorder File Formats
Sent by:        tv-tech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dan;

Aren't you over-thinking this request? It seems to me that your choices are
1)reading every spec sheet out there or 2) asking folks here if they know
of a camera that supports file format x, and codecs y, and z.

This isn't the most efficient way to accomplish something, akin to choosing
a car based on whether you can replace the tires with those on your current
car.  There might be another way or three to achieve the interface ...

Best;

John Willkie johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxx johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
telephone (Google Voice) +1 619 567-9486
skype: jmwillkie
Google Plus: John Willkie

To: tv-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:54:11 -0800
CC:
Subject: [TV-Tech] Camcorder File Formats

Does anyone know of a good reference site that provides information or good
search capabilities regarding camcorders and the file types that they
record in?

I am trying to find a camcorder for a research project that records with
specific codecs but have not found a good website that provides that kind
of information. I have looked at CNET, AVSForum, and B&H Photo Video's
websites and they do not give information on a the file and codec types
that the camcorder records in. That isn't to say that the information isn't
there. The information is usually there if you look at a specific model but
one cannot search for specific cameras that record in a specific
format/codec.

Let me know if you know of any good reference information out there.

Dan

GIF image