[opendtv] Re: Brazilian SBTVD STB ready for Christmas

  • From: "negrjp" <negrjp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:19:34 -0200

This week, the Minister of Communications Hélio Costa expressed concern on the
first projections of the prices of converters "Set Top Box."

These converters to be used in the first stage of the process of transition
from analogue to digital television, so that the (huge) legacy of analogue
receivers can capture images generated in the new digital transmissions,
available in the brasilian state capitals , the effect of the year that comes.

For the average consumer, this conversion seems very simple, is reminiscent of
the beginning of transmissions of TV on UHF in Brazil, where a small box on the
TV was the conversion of channels 14 to 83 (UHF) for the channel 3 or 4 (VHF ).

These boxes allow that old televisions, able to select only the channels on VHF
(2 to 13) could capture the new channels on UHF.

This conversion was very simple and can be explained with algebra:

Example 1:
25-22 = 3 or 25-21 = 4,

Example 2:
47-44 = 3 or 47-43 = 4.

To perform this task, the uhf-VHF converter box depended on the service of only
three transistors!

Over time, all new televisions have been manufactured with selectors able to
capture from the channel 2 by the channel 83 and these boxes were discarded.

Unfortunately the same will not happen now, because the digital-analog
conversion is highly complex, it is done through a special computer, with
thousands of transistors and auxiliary circuits.

To better understand how the conversion is done, we understand how analogue
transmission is made:

See Figure 1:

Click and again!
http://negrjp.fotoblog.uol.com.br/photo20071110044124.html

Then see how it is executed a digital transmission

See Figure 2:

Click and again!

http://negrjp.fotoblog.uol.com.br/photo20071110043930.html

An analog-digital converter must have in your core a digital receiver, a system
for convertion of matrix images to linear images done by computer, a modulator
PAL M, a low power transmitter TV, which can operate both on channel 3 or 4 in
addition to circuits axiliares to promote interactivity. All this very
expensive.

Someone may say that, even then, the price of converters designed between 500
to 1000 reais (279 to 550 dollars), are very expensive, so that only those who
have giant screen TVs would be able to make such investment.

Prices for converters will fall? They will, but perhaps not with speed expected
by the consumer.

A pocket calculator, has already cost more than 1000 dollars, the first
apparatus of videocassette and more than 3000 dollars, the first computers were
so expensive that only governments and large corporations could have one.

Currently, a calculator of four operations can be purchased for less than
twenty real (11 dollars) .

What explanation of this?

Simple:

When business is the manufacture goods for consumption, major investments are
needed.

For an idea becomes a product in, investments are made in research and
development, laboratory instruments, manufacturing of prototypes, training of
staff, investment in machinery systems, tools, industrial plants, marketing
campaigns, logistics, etc., etc., etc. .

The cost of all this investment is diluted (rata) in each product sold.

Here comes the dilemma of egg and the chicken:

To that products are sold to download prices,
For prices lower, we need that products are sold ...

To overcome this dilemma, uses is the "strategy of the umbrella": the goods
produced are sold primarily to the higher social classes until the basis social
classes.

The product prices fall as each strip of purchasing power is saturated.

The converter or digital televisions will be cheap?

Yes, but now a scene of "breach of arms." The price of these goods will have to
fall within a period defined by the government and not by the laws of the
market.

A recipient of TV in Brazil is used for approximately fifteen years. The
government wants to switch off the analogue transmissions in ten years.

Does this time will be sufficient for the price of the converter is accessible
to the entire population?

Even in the United States, country where the law of the market, the government
will deploy a plan of subsidies to help the poor.

A cheap STB in the land of Uncle Sam is costing 70 dollars. The government will
subsidize 40 US dollars in the purchase of a unit for each family.

Who will manage this process of subsidies is IBM. (The same as, incidentally,
was the first to use computers in Census).

Who will foot the bill? The government hopes to recover that money with the
auction of the channels vacant after analog switch off, within two years.

However, analog broadcasting Community (LPTV-Low Power TV) will continue
operating in analog system for an indefinite period, and will also need
financial help to convert the digital signals of programs in analog ...

For these and other, I believe in visionary strategy dPAL-M.
click!
http://negrjp.fotoblog.uol.com.br/photo20071027083439.html

If manufactured converters capable of operating both in ISDTB-T as in dPAL-M,
business investment turn faster, so that the final price of the converter can
be accessible to the entire Brazilian family in less than ten years.

To learn more about converters:

Architecture of Set-top Box for Digital Interactive TV

This material has been produced at the Institute of Computation of Unicamp by
Lara Schibelsky Godoy Piccolo.

Lara, our thanks for the authorization of the publication of this interesting
work.

Click!
www.cin.ufpe.br/ ~ gds/TAI/GDS_CEMR-APLIC-06.pdf
Original portuguese blog