[opendtv] Re: Blu-Ray DVD copy protection breached

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:28:09 -0700

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:08 AM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I wonder if they could also push a list of "broken" titles to the player,
>  thus locking them?  Blu-Ray also touts it's connectivity, and also strongly
>  advises an IP connection to keep the software 'up to date.'

Sounds not so useful. As the list grows, where will they store it?
Certainly not the player. More likely a HTTP/HTTPS request to a
central server. And if it's remote, a simple DNS redirect or a few
lines of code in a redirection proxy filter like Squid would solve
that little issue. I think they know the game is up and now it is time
to clutch at straws.

Personally, I would just like to be able to purchase and/or titles to
play on my vista MCE box which cost about $1500 to assemble, with a
$350 BDRom drive, and a $1500 projector. I didn't steal any of those.
But I guess we are all considered potential criminals no matter what
in this game.

Save the content providers pulling their heads out of their asses and
realizing that this little copy protection boat is CSS all over again
(as is any such system that employs usage of media printed on discs),
AnyDVD/HD seems the only way possible to do this.

Cheers
Kon