[opendtv] Blockbuster move boosts Blu-ray camp

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:30:38 -0400

I think that if the larger rental chains had stocked Laserdisk back in
the late 1970s, that format might have had a much healthier existence.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2515

Blockbuster move boosts Blu-ray camp

In what amounts to a major boost for Sony's prospects in the
next-generation DVD format war, US rental chain Blockbuster says most of
its 1,700 stores will only stock Blu-ray discs from mid-July.
Blockbuster's online rental service will still offer both Blu-ray and
the rival HD-DVD format, backed by Toshiba.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends
we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores
reflect the right level of products," said Blockbuster's merchandising
chief Matthew Smith.

"While it is still too early to say which high-definition format will
become the industry standard, we will continue to closely monitor
customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can adjust
our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is offering
customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in the
format they want."

"We are excited to be able to make more high-definition titles available
to our customers in those stores where our research indicates there will
be the most demand," said Smith. "Obviously, when customers are ready we
can expand the Blu-ray offering into more stores and add HD-DVD to more
locations if that's what customers tell us they want. We'll continue to
work with the movie studios to ensure we have the right assortment of
products."

Lovelace Consulting 22.06.2007