[opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown nears, antenna reality emerges

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:11:04 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> I intended to say that I'm not certain of reception in a
> majority of the locations where they currently receive
> indoor analog.

I think indoor reception of DTT now, with the new receivers, is far
better than indoor reception of analog TV >>to a quality I'd consider
remotely acceptable<<. Your article said 75 percent of OTA users rely on
indoor antennas. I would expect that to apply to ATSC reception too.
Maybe even more indoor percentage with DTT.

> I believe that Don Moore has it pegged correctly. Bert,
> you and I are not the typical viewers and I and Don,
> unlike you, have years of experience dealing with these
> folks, who will fully expect their current analog antenna
> setup to work.

I don't deny for a second your superior experience in dealing with the
public, Dale and Don. I never pretended to be in the business. My
problem is, I have seen little evidence, actually NONE, of OTA
broadcasters doing anything about *consumer education*. So I am finding
it ever so difficult to "feel the pain."

For instance, where are the PSAs that explain to viewers (a) about the
performance to expect of different vintage of receivers, (b) to
*experiment* with their indoor antenna placement, (c) if your old
outdoor antenna does not work for DTT, try an indoor antenna first? Try
near a window? This sort of thing?

Reasonably good receivers started appearing more than 4 years ago. Even
excusing the fact that broadcasters might have been leary of mentioning
DTT before that, how can I sympathize with an industry that has to
"write off" its customers now, when they have shown no interest in
retaining them in the past several years?

That was my only point. OTA viewers are on their own, were it not for
John Shutt's house calls.