[opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown nears, antenna reality emerges

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:28:39 -0400

James Albro wrote:

> The 30-foot above ground antenna standard is not a "red herring",
> it's the only established and tested method for predicting TV
> coverage. It doesn't predict success (or failure) with an indoor
> antenna but there's no standard for predicting coverage to indoor
> antennas, if only because home construction isn't standardized

And furthermore, according to the French CSA, the outdoor 30' antenna
height is the approved *international* standard for determining
coverage. So it's not something that the nay-sayers can attribute only
to the ATSC!

I agree with everyone who wants to emphasize indoor reception. I agreed
starting with Frank Eory's work, in his report to the ATSC, dated July
10, 2000.

The fact of the matter is, what Frank was asking for in that report has
by and large transpired. Reception is no longer limited to Ricean
proagation channels, so the use of indoor antennas has been greatly
enhanced. So the whole 30' hand-wringing can end.