[opendtv] Re: Apple's Move Into TV Relies on Cooperation With Industry Leaders

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 00:45:22 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> Bert has a point, that thew Sky content was already available over
>>> the Internet. But it is not available, for example, on my Cox Cable
>>> bundle.
>>
>> It's available over your Cox broadband service or it's available over
>> your DSL broadband service, AND it's also available to any WiFi
>> hotspot you might use on the run. So it's already available to any
>> media you might need. The ONLY technically valid question is, why are
>> the dunderhead TV appliance makers not making this easy for your TV
>> set to capture?
>
> Uhhhhh Bert...
>
> Apple just did.

YIKES!

So did Dell and every other PC maker in existence, without any press fanfare.
In fact, the PC and TV makers have been accommodating, installing PC interfaces
in their HDTVs and TV interfaces in PCs (RGB plus PC audio or HDMI, all quite
common these days). This solution solves the Sky problem plus a whole lot more
than Apple solved, since PCs do NOT restrict the sites you can go to, as
AppleTV does.

So solutions for this abound. The only question the trade press should have
been asking is, why can't *all* "connected TV" appliances make this possible?
Instead, the trade press gets excited about some Apple app that makes this
possible. Why not explain to the readers how they can do all of this easily,
instead of falling back to useless hype?

Who needs an Apple app to solve a non-problem, is my main point.

> Unfortunately, the real issues are not technology; The real issue is
> maintaining control over a business that generates hundred of billions
> each year globally; and preventing other industries from eating their
> lunch.

Not in this case, Craig. Sky was perfectly willing to provide that content
FOTI. As the US TV networks also do, for much of their prime time content. So
no one needs to go begging hat in hand for any of this. It should be a
non-news-item that Apple provided some silly app for this. Did I need an Apple
app? Nope.