[opendtv] Re: Milk'n it Baby! - Global STB shipments to reach record levels this year

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 00:16:10 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If the specialized, proprietary STB is unessential outside the home,
>> why pretend it's ever interesting?
>
> The article answers that very clearly: "These developments will allow
> the STB industry revenue to grow to $22.2 billion in 2013, making it
> the most valuable year in the history of the market."
>
> You don't walk away when you are at the top of your game...

Heh heh. Good point.

The only time this sort of thing is interesting and useful is for those who
don't have broadband at home. In that case, the STB that converts the broadcast
streams to IP/H.264 would be the only game in town, if you want to watch TV on
a tablet or laptop/PC in the house. As long as you're home, that is. And such
homes still exist in large numbers, even in the US. I think it would be more
exciting to hear what is being done to solve THAT problem, frankly.

> The trade press has been speculating about when the cable industry
> will drop those analog tiers for more than a decade. Even when this
> happens, both cable and DBS will likely continue to deliver live
> content as they do today for one simple reason:
>
> The huge installed base of STBs and the~250 million new STBs that will
> be deployed every year for the foreseeable future.

Yes, but see, my objection is when the trade press gets all in a twitter over
unexciting things. I'd way much prefer for the trade press to put these news
items in perspective, explaining what role they actually play in the evolution
of the medium.

One of the articles mentions that people will continue to be interested in
watching content they recorded on their PVRs, on these "second screens."
Really? During this transitional period, perhaps. I've found that use of my PVR
dropped dramatically after I started watching online. And it's not just the
convenience aspect. It's that schedule conflicts are still an issue with DVR
recording, but not with online VOD. My thinking is that others will discover
the same thing.

Of course, the networks can screw everything up if they want to. Luckily, so
far at least, aside from the totally predictable increase in ads for online
viewing, the networks have been making the service better.