[opendtv] Re: Apple finally gets it

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:16:54 -0400

I've never understood the lemming behavior that drives people to rave about and buy Apple hand held toys, and I certainly don't buy into this lawsuit frenzy Apple got themselves into.

If I were Samsung, I'd say to the court, are you kidding? How can you compare that squarish screen with our beautiful 16:9 aspect ratio? They are TOTALLY different. Ours is big and wide, there's looks so 20th Century!

But in spite of Craig's protestations, Apple has wised up! The iPhone 5 is going 16:9! At long last.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3

I wonder if the iPad will get into the DTV era too?

As the article points out, for a phone the shift to a taller (wider) screen makes sense. I would not put too much faith in the actual specs at this point, but it is clear that the new iPhone will have a larger screen (more likely 1280 x 720), but the actual numbers really don't matter as much as the DPI which will be over 300.

As for the iPad, at least the current version, 16:9 makes little sense, as many productivity applications work better with the 4:3 retina display.

But devices that are more media centric, like the iPOD Touch or the rumored 7" iPAD, could move to 16:9, or even wider.

There is nothing magical about 16:9. It's just one of many aspect ratios for digital media. The intended use of the device should dictate the screen size and aspect ratio.

As for the iPad getting into the DTV era...

It is already the second screen of choice; Airplay is going to turn the iPad into the remote of choice for connected TVs.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/2012080223373/amazon-bskyb-choose-ipad-as-ott-battleground-of-choice.html