[opendtv] Another Message The Transition Should Be Telling

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:27:34 -0800

There is another message that needs to be told in the DTV Transition:
re-scan for channels regularly, especially for this first year.  There are
a number of new channels here in Las Vegas that are popping up using
DTV-LP and there are several NTSC channels (especially LPTV) that are not
digital yet and might not be for some time.  So this digital transition
will not be a flash transition.

I have much anecdotal evidence that suggests people are getting converter
boxes but only scan it the first time they get it.  Some folks, including
myself, are surprised each time a scan is performed and a new frequencies
shows up, often with multiple channels.  But there are several people I
know that are only getting 4 or 5 frequencies because they don't realize
there are more stations switching.  And there will be more throughout the
year.

And there are several I know that have a DTV converter but are still only
using analog because they still get more channels on the analog, waiting
for the day when all goes digital.

Overall, I think the message now should not be that there is a transition
but how the transition will happen (over time) and how to cope with it!

Dan