[opendtv] Re: Analyst predicts stalemate in next-gen DVD war

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:42:57 -0700

My sources tell me the BOM for the Toshiba player
really is north of $700. Although I admire Toshiba for
having the huevos to be so aggressive, I'm afraid
it may be a bad move since it sets the barrier of
entry very high for other CE manufacturers.

If you want to join the HD-DVD hardware camp, your
first player must be $500 or less. At the same time,
you're a regular company and don't have an axe to
grind like Toshiba, so you'd like to make at least a
little profit on it. That means the BOM must be
considerably south of $500. A tall order IMHO.

However, there's plenty of time for both camps
to make all kinds of changes. Neither format
is going to see any volume until 2008, so
there's many more skirmishes to observe
along the way.

Ron