[opendtv] Re: Analyst predicts stalemate in next-gen DVD war

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:24:22 -0400

It may well end in a stalemate but the first round is going pretty
conclusively to HD-DVD.  If you check AVS Forum you will find the BluRay
fans are canceling their pre-orders and returning their Samsung players
in droves. <http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=690621>

It turns out that only single layer BD discs are currently available,
leaving only 25 MB on a platter.  But the first gen discs are using only
MPEG-2 and that just doesn't seem to be enough space, at least given the
Sony encoder being used.

The net result is that at the current time BD costs about twice as much
as HD-DVD and the movies on average do not look anywhere near as good.

Who knows, maybe BD will ship dual layer with AVC encoding real soon
now.  But otherwise I think they are in real trouble.

- Tom