[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Google-like technologies could revolutionize TV, other media

  • From: "Skip Pizzi" <skippiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 20:34:21 -0700

But an important part of this assumption is that targeted ads on the PVR
could be opt-in, so the pop-up blocking defense arguments don't really
apply. One concept is that viewers realize that they'll have to put up
with a certain number of commercials anyway, so why not make them at
least somewhat more relevant to their current needs? When they
initialize their PVRs, they could opt-in for targeted ads, filling out a
profile that identifies their interests. These could change over time
(e.g., I'm in the market for a new car, so for the next few weeks, I'd
like to see new car ads; then I've got a big wedding anniversary, so my
preference switches to jewelry ads for awhile, etc.). I suppose you
could call this "self-targeted" advertising, in which the viewer adds
some pull to the otherwise pushed advertising content on TV.

Broadcasters could sell these spots with different pricing schemes,
perhaps based on how many users actually pulled them down. They could
also offer tiered pricing for regular (non-targeted) spots, charging a
premium for one or more spots in an ad break that could not be replaced
by a targeted ad, or discounts for those that could be replaced.=20

Finally, "tell-me-more" content could also be requested, so instead of
going to the web to see that 5 minute extended BMW spot, you could watch
it on TV, pausing the broadcast show while doing so, then returning to
it afterward, thus keeping viewers from migrating to alternative media.

The question remains whether enough viewers would opt-in to make the
extra work required by broadcasters to enable this worthwhile.

--SP