[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Google-like technologies could revolutionize TV, other media

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:26:46 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> >Ads targetted to IP addresses already exist. The public tends to
> >reject these much more intensely than the more benign ads you
> >get on TV, on public buses, or on billboards. Devices like proxy
> >servers, firewalls, and the more recent spam filters are aimed
> >*specifically* at this type of ad, and Congress too wants to get
> >in on the act.

> people object to pop-up ads that are not related to the content that
> they are seeking. The equivalent in TV land would be ads that popped
> up while you are watching a show, obscuring the content you are
> watching. And yes people would object to this.
>
> What this article and I are talking about are two things that are=20
> very different.
>
> 1. Customization and personalization of the ads that already
> fill programming.
> 2. The replacement of constant ad interruptions with a few targeted
> ads - instead of watching 12-20 minutes of ads in what should be one
> hour of content, you might watch 1-2 minutes of targeted ads followed
> by uninterupted content.

Actually, the article itself was not focused on TV advertizing at all.
But Tom had the right answer, which is that it's all a matter of
degree. The more intrusive, the more rejected. One wonders why this
isn't more obvious to the advertizers.

Here's an example. I had to download the Acrobat Korean character set
some time ago. Coincidentally, surprise surprise, I get deluged with
Korean spam. You might think this was a cleverly "targetted" ad
technique, whereas the deluge of spam was instead a strong incentive
to implement filters against it.

> Not surprising. You clearly didn't get what the article reported. The
> whole point is that money is going to move INTO new forms of
> advertising that are considered less intrusive, but more useful than
> today's shotgun TV ads.

Again, the article was not about TV ads, but about ad money going away
from TV. And I'm saying that funny business like this will result in
more defenses and more rejection, after which the ad money will have
to find greener pastures.

History has shown that these new more targetted ad distribution
techniques are always abused. E-mail spam, pop-up ads, telephone
ads, ads resulting from someone browsing a web site, all of these
techniques have been abused. They have created a whole industry
whose sole purpose is to neutralize these techniques. I have
*zero* confidence that your PVR spam will be any less abused.