[opendtv] Re: After the war: more hurdles ahead for high def

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:51:12 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Quality opinions tended to be strongly along partisan lines.
>
> However it did seem true the the very early first gen Blu-Ray
> discs were often on single sided BD25 discs, coded in MPEG-2,
> and sometimes appeared the mastering was rushed a bit. Most of
> that was soon corrected.
>
> By the end I don't think there was any real difference. There
> were very good and very bad discs in both formats.

Agreed. There was also some early firmware update to the BD players, to
sharpen up the image some.

These quality comparisons also tend to create these long-lasting legends
that are only half true, such as the much-repeated truism that Beta was
better than VHS.

(Check that out. Only when Beta was limited to 1 hour and VHS provided 2
hours was there any slight advantage for Beta. It soon got lost,
especially when VHS HQ was introduced. Yet, the truism persists and
people still recite that as if it were gospel truth. And they forget
that VHS always led the way to longer recording times, that it moved the
tape away from the heads during rewind, and that it was set up for
stereo sound from the git-go. At the time, I figured VHS had the edge,
for these reasons.)

Unrelated:

Excitement. Last night, buried deep in the menus, I did find where LG
now hides the signal strength monitor. It is only available if you go
into the "manual edit" option of the scanned stations, and even then, it
ain't immediately apparent. You need to start the process of adding a
station to the list, and out pops the signal monitor. Cool. What a
relief.

Strangely enough, the LG monitor reacts differently from the Accurian
monitor. For example, in my case, the very strongest stations I receive
in the LG's monitor are from Baltimore. Specifically, one of Mark
Aitken's, CW54, and CBS13. Local CBS9 is instead the strongest according
to the Accurian.

After some time of making comparisons, while both the LG and the Philips
ATSC receivers are better than the Accurian, I have to give the edge to
the Philips. It seems more capable of receiving stations that are
ridiculously off axis. That's in the PVR 3575H/37. (Is it Funai?)