[opendtv] Re: After the war: more hurdles ahead for high def

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:57:29 -0500

At 10:48 AM -0500 2/20/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the image quality comparisons, between
HD-DVD and BluRay, are indicative of anything more than the execution of
the first gen players. And that such comparisions have anything at all
to do with the disc format per se.

That's like saying that the design of an ATSC receiver chip has nothing to do with the ability to receive DTV broadcasts reliably Bert. I agree that it has nothing to do with the disc format, but the player implementation is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

The important part of the article is that the quality differences between Hollywood content delivered on SD-DVD versus EITHER HD disc format are not sufficient to drive a mass migration to the new standard.

That is, unless the price of players and software come down to SD-DVD levels, Blu-Ray will exist primarily as a videophile format for people who like to collect DVDs.