[opendtv] Re: ATSC 3.0 presentations

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:40:05 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

We tried very hard in the early '90s to educate the broadcast
industry about extensibility and the dramatic changes that
were about to occur in both hardware and software,

Oh, not this again. Without mandating replaceable receiver modules in TV sets,
Craig, or without mandating software-defined receivers (which didn't exist yet
and are still not used in CE equipment), just what makes hardware
"extensibility" any more difficult with ATSC than with any other scheme? Tell
us.

The software aspects can already be extended, at least in principle, as I have
already explained, Craig. The fact that CE vendors don't make software
extendible TV sets is not the fault of the standard. It is the fault of looking
for the cheapest possible IMPLEMENTATIONS of the standard.

Now we need to learn if this is too little too late, or if
it will lead to a rebirth of the TV medium.

Rebirth how? Since I couldn't see the presentations, I don't know what was
said. However the IMPRESSION I got was that we're talking about a much more
capable, layered coding version of a one-way broadcast standard. If that
limitation doesn't go away, I'm not so sure that just more robust reception of
one-way broadcast would change much of anything, now that people have become
accustomed to 2-way wireless and wired nets.

One interesting aspect of the LDR modulation is that it may
work even better in wider channels (10-20 MHz) allowing for
more layered services.

Explain that, Craig. How would a wider channel allow form more layered services
than multiple narrow channels, aside from what you save from having more guard
bands between channels?