[opendtv] Re: A/B Switch for CECB

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:51:50 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Many people suggest that the RF A/B switch is an easy
> answer to the non-passthru CECB boxes, but I don't think
> it is a practical suggestion. Unless there is an A/B switch
> that can be remotely controlled by a universal remote, no
> one is going to get up and down to go between the two RF
> signals, especially considering the large population of
> elderly folks who will be using the CECB boxes.

True, we have become spoiled with remote controls.

If not the simple approach, then how about using the switching function
already available in VCRs or DVDRs, and always remotely controllable.
I'm sure any retailer would be able to instruct the customer on how to
hook it up.

Connect a splitter to the antenna lead, sending one side to the CECB and
the other to the VCR. Connect the CECB baseband outputs to the VCR's
baseband inputs, which all CECBs and VCRs have. Connect the VCR's RF
output to the TV's antenna input.

Done.

The simplest way to operate this is to leave the TV set to Ch 3 or 4,
and use the VCR's tuner for analog TV.

To watch DTT, just tune the VCR to its AV input and use the CECB remote
to tune channels.

(Alternatively, analog TV can also be watched using the old TV's tuner,
after switching off the VCR.)

Mind you, this is only needed by those who really do have LPTV stations
to worry about. I don't think that's a huge fraction of the TV audience,
but maybe I'm wrong.