[opendtv] Re: 5 Reasons Why Apple TV Is (Still) Boring

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 18:04:02 -0400

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/09/5-reasons-apple-tv-is-still-boring/all/1

Right up at the top, the article says,

"The biggest promise of devices such as Apple TV, from the consumer’s point of
view, is that they might — at long last — allow them to 'cut the cord,'
replacing their cable or satellite connections with an internet-connected
set-top box, the same way many have replaced their landlines with cellphones."

What seems a much more obvious reason to me why Apple TV is uninteresting, than
the five reasons the article explains, is more simply that it doesn't cut any
cord at all. It replaces one cord for another, even more insidious one. Where
Apple counts of the irresponsibility of the average joe to soak him even more
per month than what MVPDs do. $5.00 per movie and $1.00 per TV show, a large
percentage of which are available FOTA, and at better quality, than what Apple
offers. Just do the math. The average US TV household will EASILY spend as much
per month on this scheme, for limited viewing, than what they spend on cable
even if they let their TV run 24/7. And they still have to add the broadband
charge on top of that. What a deal!

The article does say that an OTA antenna would be a good addition. But hey, if
they can charge you $1.00 for a single episode of House, why would they add an
OTA feature? To "help the public," as Craig suggested on a similar topic
recently? Funny.

"Dearth of content" is one of the main issues with Apple TV, according to the
author. But when I see these "wonderful ideas" that I'm supposed to gush over,
all I can think is, I already get those shows, as many as I care to watch, and
I already view them whenever I please, and I never had a "cord" to cut. And if
the cell phone companies were a little less greedy, I'd get those same shows
FOTA as well, on the cell phone.

Silliness.