[opendtv] Re: 5 Reasons Why Apple TV Is (Still) Boring

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:48:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Apple is charging a negotiated fee that is split with the content owner.
> Where it resides is largely irrelevant other than the fact that it
> appears that the math favors centralized servers over distributed
> storage at the edge in the device.

The "math" of the service provider, sure. Not the "math" of the consumer.
Remember the autor's original premise. He wanted a box that would allow him to
cut the "cable." This wasn't it. He still needed (wanted) the cable. the "math"
that so heavily favors Apple is not the "math" that he could accept for cutting
cable. He did suggest OTA capability as one improvement, and you rejected that.

> Let's make this perfectly clear Bert.
>
> The approach I favor is ala carte. Let me pay a fair price for the
> channels I want.

Let me make this perfectly clear, then. Tethering yourself to that single
umbillical is what makes you vulnerable to their whims, Craig. I'm sure that
your local electrical and water utilities would play exactly the same games,
EXCEPT for the fact that they are heavily regulated. That's why I support
regulation for those industries that must operate as monopolies. And you oppose
that too, yes?

> Sorry Bert, but if FOTA was the only TV I could access I would not
> watch more than the occasional football game.

Which would be the best possible outcome, for football, for TV, for MVPD
business models. It would help solve all that you continue to complain about.

If you are so addicted to football that you must get ESPN and pay a
subscription fee, obviously you are contributing to the outrageous salaries
those mercenaries make. If you and the other 90 percent of households would
show more restraint, those salaries would become more reasonable. Not only
that, but that same consumer restraint would force the MVPDs to provide service
models more to your liking, and would also convince ESPN to provide at least
some of their content FOTA.

Instead, you and the remaining 90 percent of households give them absolutely no
reason to change anything. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad. I'm just
saying, be consistent. They are operating as any reasonable business does.

> Given the fact that the NFL can fill up their stadiums and still demand
> a fortune for program rights, I'd say we're screwed, at least until
> real alternatives become available.

And by the way, "real alternatives" hardly have a reason to become available.
No one is showing evidence of wanting change badly enough. And this
administration's FCC is playing right along.