[opendtv] 44 Mbps in 8Mhz for a UK-wide SFN ?

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:21:03 +0100

This is suggested in this interesting test report :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP157.pdf

It seems using two orthogonal polarizations works well, after all, when coupled with the MIMO concept.

One other interesting item they mention is that DVB-T2 is likely to add a 32 K carriers mode, which would make nation-wide SFNs easier.

I am not sure 44 Mbps is the limit, though. As a minimal, DVB-T2 aims for a 30% increase in datarate, which means 31 Mbps could be achieved with the same reliability as 24 Mbps nowadays. So it would seem possible to reach something like 60 Mbps with 2-antennas MIMO.

Even more reason to allow for 1080p@50 as a broadcast format . And don't forget about 3D. Did you see U23D ? For such events, 3D really enhances the experience.

Speaking of 1080p , they were many discussions on this reflector about the possibility of 1080p cameras/sensors (which are only now beginning to appear in, for example, some sony cameras, and i suppose i should mention the Red One , too), but i recall some Eureka 95 cameras were already doing 1152@50p back in the beginning of the nineties. I don't know if they were tubed or CCD devices, as both were available at the time.

I also recall one of the early attempts at high-definition DLPs by Texas instruments was designed as a 2048x1152 array, which is the Eu95 scanning format. It is mentionned towards the end of this paper as a static image projector demo :

http://www.dlp.com/downloads/default.aspx?&ref=/downloads/white_papers/166_History_Electronic_Proj_Tech_Hornbeck.pdf

By the way, does anyone know what has become of the E!95 video tapes archives? It would be nice to see them on blu-ray, for example.