[opendtv] Re: Mortgage stuff

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:46:00 -0400

Tom McMahon wrote:

> I actually heard Larry Thorpe come out in favor of Progressive
> at the HPA Tech Retreat.
>
> The DTV Team was right.
>
> Looks good, tastes good, looks fine on flat panels.  What's
> wrong with this picture?  Nothing.

And the ATSC never prevented use of progressive-only for DTV.

I'm trying to think back. The DTV Team did a lot more than just promote
progressive. Didn't they also want to limit non-layered MPEG-2 coding to
720 at 24p and 9 Mb/s? There was something along those lines. That was
the base layer, IIRC.

Was that right too? I wasn't bowled over then by this idea, and still am
not today. Maybe if some amazing codec had come along in the last 10
years to make this idea unquestionably brilliant, I'd think differently.