[opendtv] Re: 3D to the consumer

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:46:36 -0400

At 5:28 PM -0700 4/9/10, Tom McMahon wrote:
Hi -

Anyone have any thoughts on 3D to the consumer?

If you are going to need to wear glasses to enjoy the 3D experience, why not put the display(s) in the glasses?

Clearly Hollywood has found a new differentiation in 3D to get people back into theaters. With more and more of what we see on the big screen being rendered by computers, 3D would seem to be a natural way to add value to the movie theater experience. And it is equally clear that there is a technophile audience out there that will pay the extra bucks to bring this experience into their home theater systems. I would only point out that it is this audience that is keeping Blu Ray on life support.

One can also imagine that 3D games will find an eager audience among the gamers who are willing to pay thousands for the fastest PC or a new game console.

But can anyone here even imagine most of the stuff we now watch on TV being produced in 3D?

I still remember watching a demo in a Texas Instruments theater at CES, showing off the latest High Definition DLP chips. The video was shot in 1080P and was spectacular - it had a real 3D quality without any manipulation of the source or the display. I am beginning to see something similar in the new generation of large LED backlit panel displays with high refresh rates.

Looks to me like there is still a lot of work yet to be done to bring REAL HDTV to the masses. 3D seems like more of a distraction.

Personally I would much prefer to see 1080@ 72P acquisition and display.