[opendtv] Re: 3D to the consumer

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:50:58 -0400

Tom McMahon wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on 3D to the consumer?

We did have a recent thread or two on this very topic.

I'm somewhat a skeptic about 3D, although I was not at all a skeptic about
HDTV. 3D seems to be pushed hard by the CE industry, and they cite the 3D box
office hits of late. But they seem to ignore that these hits are all kiddie
movies. I find it hard to believe that the average joe is screaming for 3D as a
staple TV diet.

I saw two different 3D movies recently. One was poorly done and somewhat
nauseating. The other, Avatar, was technically very well done. But did I enjoy
it more because it was 3D? No, and in truth, I would gladly have opted for a 2D
version, had the choice been available. And not JUST because it would have been
$3.50 cheaper, either.

Mark Schubin had some excellent insights. Maybe you can dig his posts out of
the archives. One important aspect of all of this is, humans get lots of 3D
cues out of regular 2D images as it is. Maybe that's why 3D movies aren't all
that compelling (to me). And the potential for nausea is always there for me,
as well, as the distance to the subject and the convergence of the eyes don't
agree geometrically.