[opendtv] Re: 2004 Olympics in HD

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:38:19 -0700

>From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:33:10 -0700
>
>The transmission continuity is almost non-existent: on a couple of
>occasions, the announcers say there will be a break which does not occur
>and then, in the middle of an event the viewer is subjected to yet another
>Sony Wega ad ( the crowd below the apartment ad). Also has anyone else
>noticed the strangely encoded audio in the ad? I think it may be a
>corrupted Dolby AC-3 recording because whenever there is music, the spoken
>commentary in this ad only becomes garbled and disappears.

Something changed, because the audio on this ad was fine during the opening
ceremonies Friday night. By Saturday, it was messed up -- and the problem is
only with this ad.

>From: "Bob Turner" <bob.turner3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:39:14 -0400
>
>I have been invited to the neighbor's house for HD, and the images are
>beautiful, but who wants to watch yesterday's events over again?  I would
>rather be home watching the events I want to see or events that I do not yet
>know the outcome of.

I don't share your frustration, since I never watched them in NTSC in the first
place, so they were new to me when I saw them in HD.

>Unfortunately, after the disastrous coverage of the opening ceremony with
>the inane and occasionally offensive comments from Costas and Kouric, and
>the cutting to commercials at inappropriate times destroying a sense of
>continuity, I was so turned off to the Olympics that I have not watched as
>much as I had planned.  (Were there more commercials than coverage of that
>event?)  I still am amazed to remember the network covering the star
>performer (a singer) at the opening ceremony and all that could be heard was
>asinine commentary.

Now I'm really glad I didn't watch the NTSC feed. The HD coverage has so far
had, IMHO, relatively few commercial breaks and the announcers have not been
particularly inane or annoying. The biggest nuisance is the repetition of the
Sony Wega ad at every break. I do, however, like the fact that they repeat the
HD coverage of the events. Since I don't have any way to time-shift HD, the
repeats give me the opportunity to catch some events that I missed the first
time around.

Despite a few glitches, I'm very pleased that NBC was able to put together the
HD coverage at the last minute. The Olympics never looked so good -- at least
not at my house.

-- Frank