[opendtv] Re: 2004 Olympics in HD

  • From: "Bob Turner" <bob.turner3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:39:14 -0400

Personally, I find that this is one of the most disappointing Olympics I
have ever watched.

I have been invited to the neighbor's house for HD, and the images are
beautiful, but who wants to watch yesterday's events over again?  I would
rather be home watching the events I want to see or events that I do not yet
know the outcome of.

Unfortunately, after the disastrous coverage of the opening ceremony with
the inane and occasionally offensive comments from Costas and Kouric, and
the cutting to commercials at inappropriate times destroying a sense of
continuity, I was so turned off to the Olympics that I have not watched as
much as I had planned.  (Were there more commercials than coverage of that
event?)  I still am amazed to remember the network covering the star
performer (a singer) at the opening ceremony and all that could be heard was
asinine commentary.

I am also angry at the over-hyped expectations that no American athlete
should be expected to live up to.

I am generally one of the rare OTA viewers that most on this list believe do
not exist any longer, but to see the Olympics I ordered cable.  If the
coverage does not improve, my investment will have been a waste of money and
I will disconnect again shortly.  I will admit that the technical quality
has been impressive - especially the HD programming - and the events appear
to be worth watching, but NBC is ruining the experience with the stupid
commentary and poor editorial decisions.  I wish ABC had the contract!

Bob Turner