[opendtv] Re: 1080i and 1080p are the same resolution

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 23:32:28 -0400

The average consumer is ignorant.
The average blu-ray is encoded at 1080p 23.976. Every one I have or get from netflix is, that I've bothered to look. Since that's what the theatrical release is, you can't get much better than that. 1080p 60. uprated from 1080p 23.976 is unlikely to look any better than what a decent consumer TV that has a native 1080p 60 screen.

perhaps, tilting at windmills is not productive.

On 10/14/2012 8:44 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Peter Wilson wrote:

The number of pixels is only part of the story. The dynamic vertical
resolution is very different.
Look at a fashion catwalk with the model approaching the camera and watch
the detail in the costumes pump in and out as the model walks in a 1080I
production.
Good De-interlacing can make a big difference.
The author made two claims:

1. That the difference in quality is more a matter of frame rate, not
resolution.

2. That today's de-interlacers are amazingly good.

The first point I think, is valid and well demonstrated in his article. In
fact, the blurry background of the interlaced image is exactly what you'd
expect, with a 1/30th sec shutter speed as opposed to 1/60th.

What I don't know is to what extent broadcasters are limiting vertical res
these days, in DTV transmissions, to mitigate twitter. Or whether they are
counting on magical powers of modern day de-interlacers, and not damaging
vertical res at all?

I'm sure many on this august site would know.