[openbeosnetteam] Re: weekly news report

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:05:34 -0000

Just back from Denver, so catching up...

Jean, can you try to fix your mail server! The extra characters and strange
line wrapping does my head in after a 10 hour flight!!

> Granted the news report has not really been a weekly kind of email yet bu=
> t it
> should have been so and it is going to be sent more regularly: I am now
> keeping track of the OBOS network team things to do and deadlines thanks =
> postgresql's port to BeOS [should have said thanks to David :-)...]

Well, it was Cyril eventually, I just did some ground work :)

> - Document named "general" (from CVS)
>
> >we should use a version of the mbuff's that the BSD stack uses with chan=
> ges
> >so we use them more efficiently for our stack.
>
> Don't really know much about those mbuffs.... Is that what you are curren=
> tly
> working on and committed to the CVS? Could you please tell us a little mo=
> re
> about that?

Yes.  Coming in a seperate email.

> >Userland vs Kernel Land
> Well from the latest discussions on this list I guess this would have to =
> be
> changed ^_^. We can do a "one-copy" thing: make a copy when switching fro=
> m one
> land to the other and otherwise always use pointers and references.
> =46rom what I understood the reason why Be's net_server was so bad with r=
> egards
> to this copy thing is because they *always* copied the data, everywhere (=
> from
> driver to ethernet, from ethernet to IP, from IP to TCP and so on).
>
> >Initial Protocols
> I believe PPP should be part of them and not an extra, shouldn't it?

Yes.

> >Structure if_frame
> What if you have more than 3 layers? e.g. with IPv4 encapsulated over IPv=
> 6
> transported over PPPoA....? That would make a lot of extra layers without=
>
> entries in the structure :o)

Again, more in a seperate email.

[snip]

> >10:46 < BGA> BTW, who is the project lead? I want to know
> >who should I report to. :P
> (...)
> >10:47 < frey> Jean Schwerer is the official team lead
> >10:47 < BGA> Where is he? :P
> >10:47 < frey> He's fairly busy/unresponsive :/
>
> Without Internet connection at work would have been a more appropriate an=
> swer
> when that was written =3DoP Busy is always true however ;-)
> I am conscious I have not been very responsive in november and in january=
>  but
> things are getting better I think (and I hope so =3DP).
>
> >10:47 < BGA> Heh... Then let's elect David the new leader. :)
>
> If David or Emmanuel has enough time to help me with this I'd be glad one=
>  of
> them joins me :)

Well, if you want to share the load then sure I'll help out.  In fact
between us we should give reasonable service as I'm sometimes out of the
loop for a few days here and there.

> >10:48 < frey> Jean said he has done some work starting from the nettle
> >source.  I'm not sure where he is,
> >and he is painfully slow with email.
>
> Mea culpa. I believe I'm better at answering email faster now. My answeri=
> ng
> time for anything related to OBOS network team should fall below 36 hours=
>
> now.
> That said, I would appreciate if you could send me in private any concern=
> s,
> flames, arguments or bashes you have against me. I would also like if you=
>
> could please send me advice if you think you have some, if you could tell=
>  me
> what you expect me to do that I am not doing now, etc. You can be as vitr=
> iolic
> as you want to be, I am not a revenge-thirsty kind of guy ;o) You don't e=
> ven
> need to be constructive if you don't want to :-)
> I won't fill a "black list" of people not to talk to, I won't flame back,=
>  and
> I won't share what you write with anyone else unless you request me to do=
>  so.
> So please, go, shoot, flame, burn, explode, kill! :o)

Careful what you wish for!

david