[openbeosnetteam] Re: weekly news report

  • From: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 01:30:48 -0700

Quoth j-schwerer@xxxxxxx:

>- "Milestones" (CVS doc)
>
>About the IPv4 checksum + routing milestone: I'd really appreciate if routing
>were implemented through a module mechanism, just like protocols, so it would
>make it possible to support RIP of course, but also at a later time some other
>mechanisms (OSPF and some Cisco-like i-BGP flavours come to mind).

I think routing and routing protocols are a totally separate issue.. As long
as the ipv4 module supports a routing table and has a small exportable api
to add/delete routes, it doesn't really need to be separate.  This portion
of 'routing' is just to decide where to send the packet, doesn't need to
include support for any sort of announcements.

RIP/OSPF/IGRP/BGP can all be written on top of the 'current' structure as
userland daemons, or in-kernel, if the rest of the stack exists there.

So the important part there is that we have an method to add/delete routes
from some other process/program, probably through an ioctl or something.
We'll probably want a 'route' command ala un*x anyways, so I don't think
there's much of an issue.

>- "Catching up with old stuff"
>
>from IRC log:
>
>>10:46 < BGA> BTW, who is the project lead? I want to know
>>who should I report to. :P
>(...)
>>10:47 < frey> Jean Schwerer is the official team lead
>>10:47 < BGA> Where is he? :P
>>10:47 < frey> He's fairly busy/unresponsive :/
>
>Without Internet connection at work would have been a more appropriate answer
>when that was written =3DoP Busy is always true however ;-)
>I am conscious I have not been very responsive in november and in january but
>things are getting better I think (and I hope so =3DP).

Response has definitely gotten a lot better recently.  Sorry for the bad tone
there, I'm sometimes more disrespectful than people deserve. :|

>>10:48 < frey> Jean said he has done some work starting from the nettle
>>source.  I'm not sure where he is, and he is painfully slow with email.
>
>Mea culpa. I believe I'm better at answering email faster now. My answering
>time for anything related to OBOS network team should fall below 36 hours now.
>That said, I would appreciate if you could send me in private any concerns,
>flames, arguments or bashes you have against me. I would also like if you
>could please send me advice if you think you have some, if you could tell me
>what you expect me to do that I am not doing now, etc. You can be as vitriolic
>as you want to be, I am not a revenge-thirsty kind of guy ;o) You don't even
>need to be constructive if you don't want to :-)

Again, my apologies.