[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP, nameservers, DHCP, up/down reports,nekkid midgets in the forest

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:24:30 +0200 CEST

"Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Axel Dörfler" wrote:
> > Since we have to be compatible with the BSD stack [...]
> We do? Obviously there is the BSD socket interface, but that could
> live
> on top of any kind of stack. At what other levels do we have to be
> compatible with the BSD stack, pardon my ignorance?

Be welcome :-)
As Philippe already pointed out, there are a lot ioctl() we can support
to be more compliant with the BSD stack - more than the traditional BSD
network API requires.
That would be very helpful in porting over network applications,
because they lazily assume that these would exist.
OTOH if you would want to implement a completely new stack, I guess no
one would stop you (but be happy when you finish it).

Adios...
   Axel.