[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP, nameservers, DHCP, up/down reports,nekkid midgets in the forest

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:58:57 +0200 CEST

"Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The BSD stack is a proven one, I say we stick to it.
> So why has OpenBeOS its own kernel? The BSD kernel is a proven one,
> and
> so is the Linux one. Still, there was reason enough not to use those
> kernels and "roll our own" instead. The same could, and probably
> does,
> apply to the net stack.

Since we have to be compatible with the BSD stack, this is a completely
different situation, I would say.
There is no kernel like the BeOS kernel out there yet, so we have to
reimplement it for the most part, but there are tons of BSD stacks out
there.

BTW FreeBSD is often much more multi-thread aware than the other BSDs
in my experience. Perhaps their networking stack is, too.

Adios...
   Axel.