[openbeosnetteam] Re: Network preflet

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:59:19 +0200

> a) location == profile (aka, a named set of settings )
>   A BMenuField could display all them, plus (or separate buttons,
> should see)
>   offer theses operations on "profiles":
>   - "New..." to create a new one. Maybe "Copy..." would be better,
> cloning the current selected profile
>   into a new one

I think copying is not intuitive for most users because they simply want to
create a new profile.
Maybe "New" should expand and allow to create a copy? This is complicated,
too, but when the user want so make a copy and does not find the "Copy" item
he will try to create a new one, but then - surprise - he finds the "Copy"
item below. :)
OTOH, having both "New" and "Copy" at the same time is not too much bloat
because there are only four items then.

>   - "Delete" the selected profile
>   - "Make active" to apply the selected settings profile to the network
> stack, on the fly
> b) a paned view, displaying each add-on provided settings groups:
>   Identity
>   Interfaces
>   Services
>   Etc...
>
> Here, we can use tabview like Boneyard, but it's then difficult to have
> another sub level of tabs under each "settings group". I like the way
> MacOS X Network preflet use a second "Show" popup, allowing to use tabs
> in last level of settings. These is often so many settings to offer in
> a network environment
> that this solution let you use tabs to dispatch some of them for a
> settings group only. That way, no
> two-level of tabs.
>
> In that design, a second BMenuField can then offer:
>
>   rtl8139/0 ethernet interface
>   loopback interface
>   Identity
>   Dialup
>   Services
>  -----------------
>   Network status    <-- an "ifconfig -a" graphical live presentation

"Network status" is a nice tool. :)

> Or we can choose to use a lefty treeview + righty panel. Unlimited
> groups and settings depth, but
> what about user friendly?

Treeviews eat up too much space compared to the amount of information they
display and when you have to scroll to the left and right (or up and down)
to read the name of an item it makes you very unhappy.
OTOH, BMenuField disturbs the information flow because it hides important
information (like all available interfaces).
At least, BMenuField can be used on devices with small monitors. :)

> Another point I find usefull, the "lock" icon,  to prevent any unwanted
> settings change...
>
> Oh, last but not least, see this sample Boneyard skeleton add-on on
> BeBits:
> http://www.bebits.com/app/3282

The add-ons based design is good, so I can easily add my own Dial-Up
section. ;)

> So, what do you thinks, guys?

All in all, it looks nice.
Please implement it. :)