[openbeosnetteam] Re: Network preflet

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Networking Kit team ML" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:24:18 GMT

> If you can send me the skeleton code, I'll have a look at what the
> idea
> is.

Here it's available:
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
OBOSNetworkPreflet.zip

BTW, I was wrong saying there is no Network preflet in our CVS, because
there is one:
current/src/prefs/network/*.
But this one is a clone of R5 one, and have a static design. However,
maybe it could help anyway...

We discussed this preflet design before already,
and IIRC we aggreed on a design similar to Boneyard from BONE, even if
it's not the best
GUI network preflet design on Earth I guess...
If some of you don't have BONE, here how look this preflet called, how
funny today, "Boneyard":

http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
boneyard_identity.jpg
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
boneyard_if_ethernet.jpg
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
boneyard_if_loopback.jpg
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
boneyard_profiles.jpg
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
boneyard_services.jpg

Except that we (axeld and me) wants to put profile not in a separate
tab but at window top, in
a similar way than MacOS X Network preflet put his "location" feature:
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/
configure%20menu.gif
http://philippe.houdoin.free.fr/phil/beos/openbeos/network_kit/macosx-
networkstatus.jpg

a) location == profile (aka, a named set of settings )
  A BMenuField could display all them, plus (or separate buttons,
should see)
  offer theses operations on "profiles":
  - "New..." to create a new one. Maybe "Copy..." would be better,
cloning the current selected profile
  into a new one
  - "Delete" the selected profile
  - "Make active" to apply the selected settings profile to the network
stack, on the fly
b) a paned view, displaying each add-on provided settings groups:
  Identity
  Interfaces
  Services
  Etc...

Here, we can use tabview like Boneyard, but it's then difficult to have
another sub level of tabs under each "settings group". I like the way
MacOS X Network preflet use a second "Show" popup, allowing to use tabs
in last level of settings. These is often so many settings to offer in
a network environment
that this solution let you use tabs to dispatch some of them for a
settings group only. That way, no
two-level of tabs.

In that design, a second BMenuField can then offer:

  rtl8139/0 ethernet interface
  loopback interface
  Identity
  Dialup
  Services
 -----------------
  Network status    <-- an "ifconfig -a" graphical live presentation

Or we can choose to use a lefty treeview + righty panel. Unlimited
groups and settings depth, but
what about user friendly?

Another point I find usefull, the "lock" icon,  to prevent any unwanted
settings change...

Oh, last but not least, see this sample Boneyard skeleton add-on on
BeBits:
http://www.bebits.com/app/3282

So, what do you thinks, guys?

-Philippe