[openbeosnetteam] Re: Dial-Up

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:46:54 +0200

> It's not really the overall design which is the current stack main issue,
but
> the code, really the code: not well commented, very unfriendly (welcome
BSD
> coders! :-) ) and, most importantly, it lacks many place MT-safety
support.
> That make not a bad stack design, just a very difficult to understand,
maintain
> and extend (like adding DialUp support, for an example).

Then we still have to implement a new stack. We want good readability and
maintainability. ;)

> The new stack (see new_net_stack zipfile content) modules API I plan to do
is
> very skeleton yet, but if you look at the net_interface.h (net_protocol.h
is
> not designed yet), callbacks are not used everywhere, instead the core
stack
> and in the interface case, his datalink support will know the interface
module
> API and call his init(), uninit(), up(), down(), etc, when required. No
> callbacks anymore.

I will download it and look through it later this or the next week...

> The protocol module API should be a little more complex, because of the
> stackability feature required, and I don't want to split datalink-level
and
> upper-level protocols into two separates modules API like under BONE.

What is the difference then? Less code in the core module?

> But... may I ask a stupid question: why don't you buy a *real* ethernet
PCI
> card, these days 10/100 are very cheap (around 10$/euro).
> Ne2k-compatible cards are crap, technology-speaking.

I have another card lying around (from Allied Telesyn, don't know which
model), but the current one worked fine. It's an RTL8029 chip.

> > So, let's design a completely new system. First, we should get some
> > completely new point of view (like BONE) on the netstack.
>
> Believe me, I'm all for a BONE-like design, and the current stack isn't
that
> far from his design.
> Again, it's not a design issue, just a..., let's say it, a code quality
issue.

Then we must reimplement it with more quality.

> > Is the book "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 1" a good start? I bought it one
> > year ago and read half through it. Now it's time to read it again...
>
> Yep ;-)
>
> But, again, a network stack design should not focus *only* on TCP/IP.
> Because there is other very exotic protocols elsewhere, that we'll need
> to add to our stack.

At least I get the basics.

Waldemar