[openbeosnetteam] Re: Dial-Up

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:05:41 +0200 CEST

Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > I would rather provide a protocol
> > base class which implements the C module API. Then you could just
> > inherit from that one, and doesn't have to care about this too much
> > anymore.
> That is exactly what I thought, after our IRC discussion on this
> topic, would
> be NOT possible in kernelland (BeOS and OpenBeOS).
> Don't ask me why I wrongly understand.

Doesn't matter anymore now, does it? :-)
It's always a problem to communicate in another language, especially if
we both have to talk a language we don't understand ;-)

> A base class "NetProtocol" and "NetInterface" make full sense to me
> too.
> Damn, I'm not a good classes hierarchies designer yet, that's mean
> I'll need
> help from you all guys when a C-only API don't worry me at all...

Well, we'll see :)

> However, don't forget that in our duty we have to offer a good POSIX
> support,
> like ifnet_t enumeration, sysctl() call, these crasy SIOCSIFADDR
> ioctl()
> opcodes, etc.
> These, when present, help greatly to port Unix network tools outhere.
> Or should we drop this support, and implement our own stack access &
> control
> API, non BSD stack compatible? I'm not for this too radical solution
> myself.
> Let's not drop all at the same time ;-)

I wouldn't drop it, and I don't see the need to drop it. The
functionality must be there anyway, and I don't think switching to C++
should have any impact on the exported functions and functionality.

Adios...
   Axel.