[openbeosnetteam] DUN -> PTP

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Networking" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:02:17 +0200

Hi,
you once said to me that you would like to have an API for DUN interfaces. PPP
should not be the only point-to-point protocol that is supported (there is
SLIP, AOL uses its own protocol). I said that will not work, but now I changed
my mind. :)
For this, I need a better name than DUN. You do not "dial up" anymore with
broadband connections. SLIP does not have a connection-establishment phase, at
all. In that case, DialOnDemand (AutoConnect) would not even make sense.
Does PTP (point-to-point) sound like a good API prefix? DUN is too
modem-specific, IMHO.
This would also mean that the DialUpPreflet would become PointToPointPreflet
(in the network preflet there would be a PointToPoint or PTP tab).

Bye,
Waldemar