[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Stay Alive Question

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:17:49 +0200 CEST

Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> But that makes the DHCP code vulnerable to buffer overflow attacks.
> Is
> there any use in making DHCP really live (as a whole) in the kernel?
> mean, if speed were an issue I would do it, but I cannot imagine any
> good reason to use that.

Any code running on the machine may be vulnerable to buffer overflows -
that has nothing to do with kernel vs. userland; of course, a buffer
overflow in the kernel has the power to bring down the whole system,
while the same leak in userland would just kill the process in
question.
In any way, the simple solution is to make every code safe against such
things :-)

Bye,
   Axel.