[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Client needed,what would stand in theway?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:15:33 +0200 CEST

Philippe Houdoin <"Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
> Waldemar wrote:

<BUG>
Hey, is that a bug in BeMail? There should be a newline after the first
"wrote:".
</BUG>

> > Do we not already have it: "/tmp"?
>
> Yes, we have.

But we will not use it. ;)

> > What do you (all?) have against dynamic/static attributes (instead
> > of
> > plain attributes)?
>
> Nothing, in fact I like it, even better since we now have both
> userland
> and kernelland
> driver_settings support available, thanks to Axel.

You just never said "Agreed." or "OK.". ;)

But we still edit driver_settings, can we?

> It's just that our current get*byname() implementation is based on
> ISC Bind client, which use /etc/resolv.conf.
> Changing the way nameserver(s) list are stored will involve modifying
> /
> forking ISC Bind client code.
> Not that I'm against it, as our implementation is not a port but an
> adaptation, and I always found
> these /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts too much Unix-y for BeOS.

Is it so big?

> > The netstack would store a structure with its settings for each
> > module
> > in the netsettings file:
> >
> > ethernet {
> >     eth0 {
> >             ipv4 {
> >                     ip 192.168.0.1
> >                     netmask 255.255.255.0
> >             }
> >     }
> >     eth1 {
> >             dhcp enabled
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > dns {
> >     ipv4 {
> >             nameserver 192.168.0.10
> >     }
> > }
>
> Looks like BONE bone.conf, BTW ;-)

I did not steal it, honestly. :)

> > These settings are automatically loaded for each module/interface/
> > protocol combination in the netsettings file.
> > ifconfig would not be needed to set up that interface. The settings
> > are
> > converted into attributes.
> > The DNS module would automatically have an attribute "nameserver"
> > (below the "ipv4" node) with the value "192.168.0.10" when it is
> > loaded.
> > The DHCP client module would look for all interfaces that have
> > "dhcp"
> > "enabled" (eth1) and begin getting the ip and a nameserver. Those
> > values would be saved as dynamic attributes.
> > If the netsettings file is changed (by the user) the concerned
> > modules
> > get notified and all attributes are reloaded.
> > If static attributes are added/changed/removed they are written
> > immediately to the netsettings file.
>
> Sounds good.
> Okay, I'll add this feature on new_stack TODO list...
> Time to add our driver_settings.c to network/core and new_stack/stack
> modules, so!
> ;-)

Very nice. :)

> > There would be no resolv.conf file needed to add a nameserver. But
> > all
> > settings would be saved in only one file. OTOH, we could also make
> > the
> > attribute system more distributed (main nodes like "dns" are saved
> > in
> > their own files).
>
> And supporting Network preflet Profiles feature (aka different net
> settings) will be far easier that way than with multiple network-
> related settings files to switch/backup/replace/modify...

How do you want to do that? Using directories for profiles (and the
current profile is just a link to the real profile)?

<BUG>
I found another BUG in BeMail: I selected Philippe's reply, removed it,
pressed ALT+Z and the colors were lost.
</BUG>

Waldemar