[openbeos-midi] Re: Status

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:56:44 +0100

> Sorry I haven't work for OBOS this week.

No need to apologize. There are no rules that say you have to work X
hours a week on OpenBeOS ;-) I didn't do much myself, either ;-)

> I have looking for information for writing a softsynth but it's
> too dificult for me. And I haven't enough time to learn.

I came across a few links last week, but I haven't checked them out
yet. Maybe they are useful.

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/stk/index.html
http://www.pawfal.org/SpiralSynth/

> If you need help on midi2 I will be happy to help you.

Like I explained before, midi2 isn't really a big project, so it is
too small for two people to work on it.

However, the midi_server should also talk to the sound card drivers.
It does this using a certain protocol of ioctl() calls.
Unfortunately, the only documentation for this is protocol in the
sonic_vibes sample code and the echo driver code (which is part of
the OpenBeOS CVS). If you want to, maybe you can write a separate
application that creates endpoints for the devices in /dev/midi,
using this ioctl() protocol. For now, I want this to be a separate
application, but later we can integrate it in the midi_server. Let
me know what you think.

Matthijs