[opalslist] Another great tip to order Titles in the Weblinks

  • From: Dan Weeks <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OPALS Listserve <opalslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:11:45 -0500

Another great tip to order Titles in the Weblinks display page

If only a few sites need to be moved to the top or bottom of the web links page, I've been able to make this happen as follows:
  • TOP OF LIST: Use one or two blank spaces at the beginning the title(s) to push them to the top of the list.  The blanks don't show up on the public view.
    • Two leading spaces places a title before one leading space.
    • EXAMPLE:  See the list of publishers and distributors on Foothills Presbytery's Resource Center catalog  ( http://fprc.scoolaid.net/bin/viewWeblink ) for an example of using one and two leading blank spaces.  As a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) organization, we wanted our denomination's publishers and distributors to appear on the list before the others.
  • BOTTOM OF LIST: Entering an underscore as the first character.  This character does show on the public display

Pat Shufeldt
Westminster Presbyterian Church Library
Greenville, SC

and

Foothills Presbytery Resource Center
Simpsonville, SC

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Dan Weeks <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

Here is a tip that came by the help desk this morning, and I think might be appreciated by some . .

Question :
Can I change the order in which Weblinks appear?  For instance, I would like a certain link to remain first at all times.

Answer :
Weblinks do not have the same repositioning functions as in the Pathfinder utility. Weblinks utility needs some updating... which we will put on the to-do list. There is a workaround in that you can number them.... which adapts the numeric-alpha sorting to work the way you would like.

Response:
What a great tip!  I added numbers and voila – they’re in the order I want!