[ola] what would an OWL "unit" look like?

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanoshlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:36:32 -0700

Hello,

Please take a look at the following and drop me your feedback. I used a program
called "Scapple" to generate this, but you could use a piece of paper, too. In
the center is the question, "¿Quién eres?" Below you see the assessment
section, and above you see the planning. (You'll have to blow this up in your
PDF reader to see it).

What changes from question to question is the vocabulary and the
questions/sentence frames (see top left). What else might change is the kind of
response you are expecting from students. I think I might have invented a new
rubric that covers the gamut from being unable to answer to responding in
memorized phrases (on a familiar topic, this seems like it's worth an A). Or,
it was someone else's idea and I just capitalized on it. The baseline goal for
this first "unit" or whatever one would call it, meaning that everyone is able
to achieve it, that students answering questions are able to respond in at
least one-word answers (earning the student a C). As the "units" go on, you
alter vocab, the kinds of questions you ask, and the goal one is expected to
reach (chunks, memorized phrases, etc.)

I haven't yet integrated any resources into this yet, and in the planning
concerns section I'll put in some of the questions that Darcy put into the
documents she sent on planning.

I appreciate the open dialogue - as we are all in various stages of transition
- the issue I grapple most with remains as to how to balance staying true to
how we believe students will best learn, the gradebook, and the kinds of
documentation required with the new proficiency guidelines. Thanks for your
input, and I hope this proves to be useful to someone.

Thanks,

Nanosh