[ola] proficiency grading, homework, participation

  • From: Karyn LaCroix <karynlacroix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 23:14:00 -0700

Maybe I can help with some of the struggles related to the above.

This is my 3rd year with proficiency-based grading and my 2nd with OWL.  While
I have freedom over the content of my Spanish courses, I do need to write
learning targets at the beginning of the semester. Our grades are based solely
on the proficiency of those learning targets (scaled from 0-4). I try to make
the targets as broad as possible ("I can describe myself"), and while there may
be a particular time of year when we are working most on that target, a target
proficiency grade can be changed any time the target comes up in class--or out
of class (I've had a few casual conversations in the hall that resulted in me
changing a target grade).

Our school day ends at 4:15, so we don't really assign homework except for
math. Since I also teach algebra, I'll tell you how we get around the "no
homework grade". We have a target which states "I can defend my math practice
and behavior to acquire proficiency". You could change math to "language
learning". Any independent practice (e.g. homework) that is completed is
stapled to a written assessment. The student then writes a statement relating
practice to the performance on the assessment. If the student does not turn in
homework, but is proficient in the learning target, he gets a "3" for the
assessment and a "3" for the learning target above, providing he made the case
that he didn't need the practice to score well. On the other hand, a student
could get a "1" (emergent) on the assessment and a "3" on the defend target if
she shows how she is working to get to proficient.

As for participation, all of our classes have community targets. Here is one I
use when I have the students self-evaluate:
"I can provide evidence of group communication, time and task management,
sharing work, mutual respect, and resolving conflict". Someone in this OWL
group sent out a scoring guide earlier that my students use (it has categories
like "I don't always work with the same partner") I find that most of the time
I agree with their self-evaluations.

Sometimes it is frustrating when I am not able to grade effort (usually shown
by homework completion and participation). I'm trying my best to find ways for
students to see that in most cases, the effort is related to the outcome.

Karyn LaCroix
Academy of Arts and Academics
Springfield, OR