[ola] Re: [ola] RE: [ola] En mi opinión

  • From: Darcy Rogers <rogersdr25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 01:06:38 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for sharing! It has been a while since I have been able to comment on
the listserv, and I am happy to be back checking it out. This is neat to see
teachers sharing ideas that are engaging students & keeping them in the target
language! There were a couple of neat things that I have seen in some of the
interactions, and specifically this thread, that seemed to be good examples of
the values we are all working for in our classes.

First of all, kudos for
doing the activity 100% in the L2. Even beginning students are completely
capable of
staying in the L2, and understanding an activity when modeled.

Also, kudos on naturally and seamlessly
incorporating the literacy piece into the class, in context. Aiming to have
some form of authentic literacy in every class, whether it is reading or
writing is essential for students to see the language and then use it in an
authentic context. Remember that writing and reading can be as interactive as
the speaking! Finding readings, infographs, etc for students to analyze, even
at beginning levels, is a great way to incorporate literacy. (For ex: within
the context of opinions, looking at infographs of what people think about a
certain topic)

While doing an activity like this, English names for things (band class, etc.)
often come up. Don't hesitate to teach the names of the classes, movies, books
in the L2. That's a good opportunity to naturally weave in other topics and
expand their vocabulary, plus have a chance to practice circumlocution. At the
lower levels this can be drawing or acting it out (not just translating it!!)
Foster those circumlocution skills!

Side conversations (or comments) can sometimes serve as an entry point for new
vocab, etc to come up organically, like has been mentioned in previous emails.
Students love it when they can learn common expressions that can be utilized in
and outside of class! The goal is to get to a point where the L2 is the
functional language of class.

It's wonderful to see teachers employing techniques that are
getting students communicating!! There has also been mention of adjusting
activities for advanced levels. What other successful
activities or progressions are happening?? How are they / could they be
adjusted to fit different levels?! Excited to hear other ideas!!

Abrazos,
Darcy Rogers
Organic World Language (OWL)

Phone: 541.601.4509
Fax: 541.776.4099
Website: www.organicworldlanguage.com
Facebook: tinyurl.com/organic-language-facebook

El Jueves, 5 de diciembre, 2013 2:51 P.M., Cathy Bird
<cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Serendipity reigns! I feel like I made huge progress with my 7th grade French
classes this week when I introduced “in my opinion”. Seems these middle
schoolers love to argue (I knew that, of course!). One of my weakest
‘traditional’ students wrote a simple yet completely comprehensible opinion on
whether bowling is a sport! And today, for some odd reason, my second class
went nuts comparing Nemo and Madeline and saying which was a better character.
Tons of vocab generated by kids, but I didn’t feel overwhelmed by trying to
teach it to everyone. Even had the chance to do a mini-review with one girl who
kept mixing is/have sentences. Now that we have some ground work, I am looking
forward to stressing the comparative/superlative whenever it comes up…even
though it wasn’t my goal. As homework tonight, students in the Nemo class were
asked to find another pair of characters to compare and be prepared to compare
them to their partner/group in
 class tomorrow!

I love this stuff!

Cathy Bird