[ola] Re: ola Digest V2 #212

  • From: Nancy Parsons-Brown <nparsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 14:48:13 -0700

Dear OWL Family,

Please help! My fellow teacher, Alex and I are asking for some of your
great ideas. We are building a new middle school and we can give input to
the architects and school building manager as to what we want in our
classroom and how we want it to look. Cool, eh???? Since we are both using
circles and OWL techniques these are some of the ideas we came up with:

excellent soundproofing-we are noisy!
lots of closet space to store stackable chairs and tables
enough whiteboards on walls so all students can stand and write (class size
smaller than 20)
closet space for costumes and props
maybe a low elevated platform that is covered in carpet that can serve as a
stage or maybe
        think sunken living room in the center (advantages, children can
sit on it and talk/write,
               disadvantages....lots of jumping off, tripping over???)

good speakers built into cubbies in wall
open bookshelves for storage of materials (ie, place to put their notebook,
computer...while doing circle so they are not stepped on on the floor)
I have a sofa in my room, but not sure how much I like it-too much
bickering over sitting on it, so no one sits on it
an ability to put up a green screen for filming

Our building manager asks us to dream and request things...

What about a room shaped as a D?  Platform on the straight side of D with
storage behind. The whiteboards (new paint material that serves as
whiteboard) could be on the curve of the D and on the straight part. You
could have storage in the curves of the D making in a rectangle.

I feel like a room that is designed with OWL techniques in mind SHOULD be
different than a standard classroom where the teacher is up front and
students are seated (a rectangle). Even a square would be better than a
rectangle.

For those of you who are more experienced with OWL, for what would you ask?
What am I missing?
We do have other non-language classes, so we do need tables at times.

Also, I'd like the classroom to be more comfy, and Reggio
Emilia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggio_Emilia_approach>feel that
we have in our elementary school.

We would really appreciate ANY ideas, especially ones thinking outside the
box or rectangle!

Nancy Parsons-Brown (Middle School French Teacher)
Alex Nicoll (Middle School Spanish Teacher)

Community School
Sun Valley, Idaho